What are 11 things your life doesn't need in 2011?
How will you go about eliminating them?
How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?
We've agreed to update on our progress at the end of each month in 2011.
I've discovered that I need topic suggestions and accountability for my blogging. When Mathnerd314 mentioned a blog-along, I jumped on board because I figured I needed the impetuous to consider the topic and keep blogging. In some ways, I 'm a bit nervous because on some levels I've already considered this question in therapy and eliminated some things as a result. Mainly time commitments that were more overwhelming than exciting.
So here is my list.
1) 35 pounds. I've been working on this one for a while without much success. Loosing this will put me back where I was when I lived in Connecticut.
2) Excess stuff. Owning a house means that I'm not moving every 1 - 2 years, thereby reducing my belongings. In addition, living close to my parents means that stuff gets funneled from my parents house to mine! Mainly childhood belongs. I've sorted through some stuff and donating them. I've also discovered that ebay and craigslist are great ways to reduce clutter while earning money!
3) A house. Okay, so this is not quite realistic as several projects need to be finished before selling. Projects like replacement windows, painting the exterior, new gutters, and finishing/fixing the basement bathroom. I estimate this is a two-year project, but I'm putting it on my list for this year to keep my ultimate goal in mind. At this point, you're probably wondering "Isn't a house "The American Dream? Why would she plan to sell a valuable asset?" Well the promoter's of "The American Dream" forget to mention the downsides of homeownership. Shoveling snow. Yardwork. Home repairs. All of these things are time consuming and as a single woman, I'd rather spend my time elsewhere but cannot afford to pay to have them magically resolved! In addition, in the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University class I took last spring, I learned that I bought my house in the wrong order. I have some graduate student loans and an emergency fund that I should have built first!
4) Money stress. Selling the house is just a part when it comes to reducing my money stress. I have a part-time job helping people learn the Crown Mvelopes product outside of work hours. It is computer, phone & internet based so it can be done from the warmth of of my house and in my pj's if I choose!
5) Stress. I am my worst enemy when it comes to bringing stress in my life. Sometimes I emotionally overreact to situations which means I worry about things over which I have no control. Worry = stress. So maybe this one should be about eliminating worry more than stress but since they're related it will be okay. As referenced in #1, I also tend to eat when I'm stressed so... reducing my stress with help in many areas.
6) Second guessing decisions. Alas, this one is related to #5 because second guessing my decisions results in more stress. Sometimes, I make decisions based on what others think than what I really want or maybe I convince myself that I want them when I really don't. Sometimes I also make decisions and then other people react strongly against the decision that I turn into a waffly-mess and promptly change my mind two more times ultimately ending up at my original decision. Waaaaaay too much brain energy spent on making & re-making decisions.
7) Procrastination. I'm not fond of controversy or of making difficult decisions. Once the decision is made, great! I have decided and can move along. But until that point, I waver back & forth... and back & forth so I just sit and wait and wait. Sometimes this is okay but other times it causes problems. Secretly, I think I'm afraid of ... failing... so I don't do anything because then you can't fail! lol. Not putting off decisions will reduce my stress levels and make sure I do things because I want to and not because there is an emergency because it was postponed too long.
8) Loneliness. Putting this out here makes me feel naked - as if my soul is exposed. But here it is: sometimes I am incredibly lonely and I feel it most often in a crowd. As an introvert, I enjoy being with people to a certain extent but really appreciate my solitude. It has come to my realization that I need to get out more often. Most of my friends are either married or have a significant other, which makes it hard since I don't. I appreciate the time that I do spend with them, but I need to find more like-minded people with similar interests to spend time with. I don't mind kid chatter as long as I can cat chatter. I really miss the quality friendships I made in college - everyone lives so far away and not all in one place! I miss hanging out with intelligent women who challenge my thinking, love Jesus, share their joys & sorrows of life, live nearby and who can make me belly laugh until I snort liquid out my nose. I don't expect all of these in every friendship, and perhaps I need to cultivate friendships until they fall into this category.
9) Single Discontent. I still dream of meeting an imperfectly amazing youngish man who will sweep me off my feet! Realistic? Maybe. Maybe not. Ever since I was a child, I've nursed the dream of being a wife and mother. I never wanted a career.There, I've said it. I want to be content with my current place in life, but some days are really hard. Unfortunately, short of a mail-order groom, I can't change my marital status on my own. I want to organize my life so it works in all areas for the single me. I want to start making decisions with the expectation that my marital status will not change. I don't want to settle for just any old man... sorry any mail-order groom applicants. I'm looking for someone who is worth giving up the freedom of my single life.
10) Over-analyzing work situations. One of my strengths is analyzing things. Situations. Numbers. Myself. And analyzing. and analyzing. Sometimes all of this naval-gazing results in over thing situations that result in disaster. Trust me on this one. And work is no different. Changing my perception of situations with help from outside opinions is quite useful.
11) Lack of traveling. I realize that driving to Seattle IS traveling... but I don't have to leave the state. I'm still sad that I was not able to attend my MHC 10 year college reunion last May. And there are several friends in cool places that I like to visit. Chicago, California, New York, Ohio, England, and South Africa just to name a few. Planning to visit ALL of those places this year might be a bit much... but perhaps I could swing one maybe two trips. Anyone open to having a free-loading friend come to crash at your house for a week(end)? I'm a great cook and I know how to clean!
If you'd like to joint in--just with a list of 11 things, or for the full, year-long, series of updates--please leave your url in the comments section!

1 comment:
I would love for you to visit Chicago, of course, but reading your list made me think of a very different type of travel that might be in sync with your "challenge." Have you/would you consider a "volunteer vacation?" Seems like a great way to meet new people with your values, do something you can't second guess, and I hear it's great for putting a lot of things in perspective.
And if you went somewhere really exotic...I bet you could arrange to fly through Chicago and spend a couple of days with a friend there. ;).b
Post a Comment